How to make your hat smaller:
It's quite easy to make your hat smaller right at home. Just follow these instructions:
- Fill up a bowl or a sink with hot water and any kind of liquid soap
- Place the hat in the water and swish it around for a couple of minutes. It’s the movement that shrinks the wool fibers.
- Squeeze the water out of the hat by wringing it. (Don't worry - you can't harm the hat - get as much water out as you can)
- Try the hat on your head. If it feels right, rinse the hat in cool water to remove the soap and squeeze again to remove excess water.
- If the hat is still too big, just keep swishing it in the soapy water and trying it on until it feels right.
- To dry the hat, place it on an upside-down bowl. Do not lay it flat to dry as you need the air to circulate around the hat to keep it's head shape.
Because your hat is made from 100% sheep's wool, it is water resistant. Do NOT wash your hat in a washing machine. The agitation will cause it to shrink. And do NOT put your hat in a dryer. You can hand wash your hat in cool water with a mild soap. Just let it sit in the water for a bit. To dry the hat, squeeze out the excess water, place it on your head to shape it and follow the above instructions in #6.
This video shows how to make your hat smaller.